On a recent radio show, DJ and Worldwide FM host Helfetica demonstrated that the unifying power of electronic music spans generations of listeners.
Case in point: Helfetica brought her 100-year-old grandmother to the show to discuss her impressions of electronic music as well as her favorite records.
While there is often the impression that older people are set in their ways, Helfetica describes her grandmother – affectionately known as "OB" – as "stunningly open-minded". OB has two passions in jazz and electronic music, and the two worlds often converge on their favorite records, such as the ethereal Floating Points and Pharaoh Sanders collaboration "Movement 1".
The two discussed their association with a variety of electronic genres, ranging from the Italo disco sounds of Demi Riquisimo to the jungle influences of Olof Dreijer. "If OB wasn't born in 1921, she would be absolutely a raver," said Helfetica.
Helfetica says that OB was recently introduced to their favorite electronic duo, Bicep, and the duo's melodies, especially "You", keep inspiring a groove over and over again.
Overall, OB's knowledge of deep electronic cutting is vast enough to dwarf many seasoned ravers. Discover her wisdom and listen to her favorite songs on Helfetica's full global FM radio broadcast below.
"Helfetica with OB" track list:
1. Pharoah Sanders + Floating Points – Movement I
2. KMRU – window stills
3. KMRU – argon
4. KMRU – Jinja Encounters
5. Yasuaki Shimizu – Seiko 2
6. Olof Dreijer – Echoes of Mamori
7. Oni Ayhun – OAR003-B
8. Hammer – think of me
8. Demi Riquisimo – Certified
9. Biceps + Ejeca – you
10. Biceps – Meli I
11. Elkka – harmonic frequencies
12. Num – Inna Kreis
13. Octo Octa – Can you see me?
14. Danny Howard – Mr. B
15. Mike Dunn – Natural high
16. Galcher Lustwerk – Another story
17. Deena Abdelwahed – Tawa
18. Num – helps your hips move
19. Special request – erotic discourse
20. Special request + Tim Reaper – Calm storm
21. Special request + Tim Reaper – Pull Up
23. Drexciya – sand dunes of Andrean